Sunday, May 04, 2008
Nothing to do today, and it's great!
It's so nice not having anything to do today.
Yesterday was 7 days straight that I've had to work, and I'm finally off today. I might mow the grass later on today, but for now it's nice to just relax. Angie is off too, so it's even nicer.
As far as area roads are concerned, I've noticed a couple of suspicious new signs along I-24 in Rutherford Co. I can't remember exactly what they were for, but I know that one was eastbound before TN 266/Sam Ridley Pkwy. in Smyrna and the other was westbound somewhere in Murfreesboro. They were BGSs for points of interest, and they had the exit tab centered above the main sign! Now Tennessee has been justifying tabs since the mid 90's, so I find it odd that they may be changing their style. I don't think the MUTCD has suggested a change to this standard recently.
Personally, when it comes to BGS or BBrS signage for points of interest off of exits, I prefer it when they put "EXIT XX" at the bottom of the main sign and forget the tab altogether. Tennessee used to do this regularly, and this is Kentucky's standard. The tabs on these signs seem to make it confusing. One might think that the point of interest was the only thing off of that exit.
In other Tennessee road news, as of 5/1/2008 at 00:00, a two-mile or so stretch of I-40 is now officially closed down in Downtown Knoxville. Traffic wanting to get through Knoxville along the I-40 corridor is being detoured onto I-640. Access to Downtown Knoxville and the University of Tennessee is still possible by following I-40 to either of its temporary ends. This 14-month closure will completely reconstruct what was considered to be the worst stretch of I-40 anywhere across the country. http://www.smartfix40.com is TDOT's official website for the project.
Personally, I spoke with my brother-in-law yesterday, who travelled through Knoxville the other day to visit his folks in South Carolina. He says that I-640 flowed well, and he wasn't delayed in traffic at all. Now I believe it was after rush hour when he travelled through there, but at least there was no 24/7 gridlock on I-640. What's interesting is that I recently heard that I-75 through traffic is encouraged to take I-275 and I-40 through the Downtown area in order to ease the burden on I-640. This is a good suggestion, and I hope that I-75 traffic follows that advice.
Yesterday was 7 days straight that I've had to work, and I'm finally off today. I might mow the grass later on today, but for now it's nice to just relax. Angie is off too, so it's even nicer.
As far as area roads are concerned, I've noticed a couple of suspicious new signs along I-24 in Rutherford Co. I can't remember exactly what they were for, but I know that one was eastbound before TN 266/Sam Ridley Pkwy. in Smyrna and the other was westbound somewhere in Murfreesboro. They were BGSs for points of interest, and they had the exit tab centered above the main sign! Now Tennessee has been justifying tabs since the mid 90's, so I find it odd that they may be changing their style. I don't think the MUTCD has suggested a change to this standard recently.
Personally, when it comes to BGS or BBrS signage for points of interest off of exits, I prefer it when they put "EXIT XX" at the bottom of the main sign and forget the tab altogether. Tennessee used to do this regularly, and this is Kentucky's standard. The tabs on these signs seem to make it confusing. One might think that the point of interest was the only thing off of that exit.
In other Tennessee road news, as of 5/1/2008 at 00:00, a two-mile or so stretch of I-40 is now officially closed down in Downtown Knoxville. Traffic wanting to get through Knoxville along the I-40 corridor is being detoured onto I-640. Access to Downtown Knoxville and the University of Tennessee is still possible by following I-40 to either of its temporary ends. This 14-month closure will completely reconstruct what was considered to be the worst stretch of I-40 anywhere across the country. http://www.smartfix40.com is TDOT's official website for the project.
Personally, I spoke with my brother-in-law yesterday, who travelled through Knoxville the other day to visit his folks in South Carolina. He says that I-640 flowed well, and he wasn't delayed in traffic at all. Now I believe it was after rush hour when he travelled through there, but at least there was no 24/7 gridlock on I-640. What's interesting is that I recently heard that I-75 through traffic is encouraged to take I-275 and I-40 through the Downtown area in order to ease the burden on I-640. This is a good suggestion, and I hope that I-75 traffic follows that advice.
Comments:
<< Home
Georgia tends to do this as well, though with most hospital exits, they will put the exit # above the word "HOSPITAL".
I only take issue with this sometimes when Georgia gives "short shrift" to major cities off certain exits. For example, "Albany - Exit 62". The northbound BGS for I-75 Exit 62 (US 82/GA 520/To US 319) in Tifton IMHO should be signed "Tifton/Albany", and Sylvester should get the "afterthought" (Sylvester - Exit 62).
Post a Comment
I only take issue with this sometimes when Georgia gives "short shrift" to major cities off certain exits. For example, "Albany - Exit 62". The northbound BGS for I-75 Exit 62 (US 82/GA 520/To US 319) in Tifton IMHO should be signed "Tifton/Albany", and Sylvester should get the "afterthought" (Sylvester - Exit 62).
<< Home
